Thursday, February 25, 2010

This is the first project....

....that I worked on at the retreat last week inbetween teaching and doing a trunk show. I've had plans to make a dresdon plate quilt for my livingroom for quite a while now and I decided that it would be the "perfect portable project".
I've had this ruler for several years and I use it often. It's the EZ Dresdon by Darlene Zimmerman.

This will be my background fabric when all of my blocks are finished. I'm using 48 different fabrics for the dresdons.


So far I have made 7 blocks and I need 9 in all. I've decided to finish them at 15" x 15" each and to make the quilt square with a setting of 3x3. I havn't decided what I will do for the sashing yet....I'll see what it needs when the blocks are complete.



I took a really fun purse class along with Kim and Nanette....Rae Ann is going to take the class later. Amy brought a bunch of these purse tops in a wide variety of shapes and sizes and we all chose which ones we wanted to work with. I wanted to make one using several different fabrics (because I always go for the scrappy look) and this is what I came up with.





The other side....

The inside....

I also chose a smaller handle and made one for Kassidy. Don't you think it's the perfect size for her ipod and of course lip gloss too!

This is the inside...

As you can see, I have plans to make several more. I also bought a shorter chain to go with the handle pictured below. These purses are really fun to make and the possibilities are endless!
I havn't had time to make flowers to go on the purses yet but I will probably this weekend.



It was a blast and I'm so glad that I went. This was my first year at Amy's retreat and everyone was so kind and made me feel very welcome.
I've already put it on my calender for next year!


post signature

17 comments:

Rae Ann said...

Lori ~ I love your adorable purses! Cassidy's turned out so cute. I know she will be the envy of the neighborhood. Maybe you could teach her to make them so she could sell them to her friends and have a little business going.
I loved being at the retreat with you friend. You're a real blast and a half! I am also looking forward to next year.

Sherri said...

Do you already have the dates for next year...I really would love to come up...also...can you buy the purse supplies on-line...and finally (my last question)...could you do a mini-class on the purses when you come down south this spring...I'd love to learn!

Kimberly said...

How fun! And I'm looking forward to seeing that quilt all finished... much to tricky for me!

Have a great weekend! Kimberly

Kim Walus said...

I love your purses and it's so fun to see them on your blog. The dresden plates are so gorgeous and I'm thinking I've got to make a bigger one someday. I'm still loving the fabric you used on your dresdens, too. CUTE. VERY. CUTE!!!

Kim D. said...

Love your dresden blocks and the purses are cute too. Sounds like you all had a great time at retreat. I went to a retreat last weekend as well. It's always so fun to get together with friends and sew.

Betsy said...

Lori I love those dresdens.
Is there a link or a tutorial for those cute little bags? THey would be great for my daughters bridal shower.

dream quilt create said...

Those dresden blocks are gorgeous! I have always wanted to make a dresden quilt, it is on my list. I am going to buy one of those rulers soon to remind myself that a dresden block quilt is on my list. The purses are beautiful too and Kassidy will love hers. I want to make some. I'm going to Utah in April for Lindsay's baby and will have to stock up then. I thought I got a lot done but it's because I don't have a very large social life anymore. You must not have to sleep at all :) to get everything accomplished. You are an inspiration to me!

Linda said...

I love your Dresden's - the fabrics you have chosen are wonderful... I think I might have to add that one to my list. You are very inspiring!

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

Your living room Dresden is going to be wonderful Lori!!
Nice fabrics on the purses too!

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like I'd better get in on the next retreat! Your dresden plates are beautiful! Your work is so amazing! Fun purses too -- a little business for Cass or birthday gifts -- both would work.

Calamity Jane's Cottage, Bonnie said...

Lori your dresden quilt is going to be gorgeous and I love the little purses. Perfect little gift and it sounds like you girls had a blast.
Keep Stitchen'
Bonnie

whitey said...

one day when I find that dresden ruler I just bought
(not to long ago )I am going to try this, love the little pocket purses it so reminds me of my grandmother when she would reach in to get me some money to go the store for her I can see her hands now opening it now

Mila said...

You make lovely and cute things! Your dresden plate are very pretty. our lite purses, are lovely! and I adore your desing, sure.
Best.
Mila.

sewprimitive karen said...

Is it hard to attach the purse to the frame?

happy zombie said...

Oh the purses! Oh the Dresden plates. Oh the Darlene lovin'. Most of all... oh the retreat and the people you were with!!! BEAUTIFUL!

Nanette Merrill said...

Your projects are the best ever. You know, I went back to American Quilting the next week and they had no purse frames left. I found them on ebay for a good deal though.

Carrie P. said...

Very cute purses.
Love your dresdens. I have that tool too but have not made any yet.
Very pretty fabrics.

Related Posts with Thumbnails