Wednesday, March 27, 2013

The Quilty Barn Along...Barn Number 3 and Postage Stamp Block Tutorial!!!...


Good morning cute people!!!
Are the cows milked and the chickens fed?
Good.
Because now it's time to build barn number three in the 


For this barn I decided to make a postage stamp block.
I was in the mood for some happy scrappy time!
This block goes together fast and is pretty self explanatory...
but here is a short tuto anyway:)

Cut 36 - 1 1/2" squares 
from your scrap stash:)

Get out your 
mini design board 
and arrange them in 
the order you would like...



Sew them into 6 rows of 6.
Don't press until all
 of the rows are sewn...


Then press the seams 
in each row going 
opposite directions...
 like this.


Sew the rows together 
and you have an adorable
Postage Stamp Block
  to go on the side of your barn:)

Your block should measure
 6 1/2" square at this point.


Add your barn fabric strips 
around your block...


And build your barn around it!
remember...
 the barn buildin' tutorial is 


Looks like barn #3 has some 
cute new puppies inside
 to play with:)


There is a new addition 
to our barns...
from now on...
 we are adding white strips 
around the outsides. 

Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 14 1/2" 
and sew to the sides.
Cut 2 - 1 1/2" x 16 1/2" strips 
and sew to the top and bottom.


Now your barn block should
 measure 16 1/2" square
 at this point:)


I will be adding white strips around
 my barns one and two so that they all 
measure 16 1/2" square....
you will need to do the same.

I will let you know how
 we will be joining all 
of the 12 barns together when 
we are about halfway there.

I'll be posting barn #4 two weeks from today:)


But in the meantime...
I'll be planting


Do you have your peas in?
Have a barn raisin' kind of day...
xx
Lori

P.S. Don't forget to show me your barns on the flickr group.
If you are new and want to join in...
to saddle up!

16 comments:

•stephanie• said...

that one's my favorite.
love the postage stamp block!
(and the red/grey color scheme.)

Podunk Pretties said...

The ground is still frozen here, no planting peas for a few days yet. 6 inches of snow on the ground. By this time last year we had our tomatos out and the apple trees had already bloomed. Easter egg hunts will be in the snow this year!

trish said...

Super cute. Oh gosh I love your roof and sweet pupies and scrappy squares ... the whole barn!! :0)

trish said...

Ps. Will be planting my garden real soon. Dirt is tilled and waiting. :0)

tealeafquilts said...

Now I"m behind 3 blocks. Cute!

Rosa said...

Another beauful block.Those peas are one of my favorite.Here ,Spain is called Garbanzos.

Karen said...

I love it! I'm starting to fall behind though. Gotta get my butt in gear on the last barn block too! This one I can't wait to do though. Thanks for another great block!!

Carrie P. said...

really cute blocks. I plan to get my peas in the garden this weekend.

Kristal said...

I'm enjoying the barn blocks - so cute!

Yep, our motto is "peas in the ground by President's Day." So our first planting is about 1 1/2" high. Even with all the snow we've had in SLC this winter! Love to see the first green leaves in the spring. We've planted two more pea patches, and those aren't out of the ground yet.

tubakk said...

Already done and waiting for the next one. Thanks!

Mary said...

My flower bed gardens are blooming. Love the Postage Stamp block. A great one for those tiny scraps to get used up!

busyascanbe said...

Love it ! I love the barns so just finished the first one and hope to catch up before your next post!

Mountain Home Quilts said...

Is your red chicken wire from Oink A Doodle Moo? I ordered some to use in this QAL. I think it's perfect for the barn! :)

JanAngel55 said...

I think this is my favorite block so far! I love the use of the red chicken wire for the barn--sets it off. I do have sugar snap peas and cabbage in the ground and the peas are already bearing--planted both last fall as I live in Northern California and can plant early. Good day to all! janicelashley@gmail.com

Micupoftea said...

Lots of fun and creativity! Keep crafting :)

Carla said...

Love all the barn blocks. They're sew cute!

Related Posts with Thumbnails